Friday 3 March 2017

Basic Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce

Quite surprised to find that I haven't posted my basic Italian pasta sauce on here.  Admittedly I haven't made this basic version for a long; usually I add carrot and celery to make it into a Bolognaise sauce, or the base for Shepherd's Pie, or a Moroccan fish stew.  In fact I've begun to feel that a can of tomatoes or passata goes in pretty much everything I've cooked over the last few weeks.  But today is Meatless Monday, I've a half built Ikea sofabed upstairs in the spare room, I need to fit a new seal to the dishwasher door, I've had a hospital check up for me in the middle of it all, and soon the kids will be home wanting tea.  So basic tomato sauce it is.

1 onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tin of tomatoes, liquidised or a 500ml pack of passata
Optional flavourings: capers, black olives, chilli flakes, chopped anchovies

Gently soften the onion in the olive oil over a low-medium heat.  Add the garlic once the onion is transluscent or begins to brown.  Add the tomatoes and rinse the can/pack out with a little water to make the sauce slightly thinner than you'd want for a sauce, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or more for a stronger flavour.  If the sauce is too watery after 20 minutes, take the lid off and simmer to reduce a little.  If the sauce is too thick add a little water.

I served with with spaghetti and grated cheddar tonight, and had the kids admitting that they liked it just as much as bolognaise sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment