Saturday 9 May 2015

Indian Mango Chutney


9 year old Sprout has announced she likes Mango Chutney so I just had to try and make some.  Recipe is off the web but apparently from Madhur Jaffrey.  I didn't have green mangoes, just overripe juicy ones.  Plus I used pickling vinegar as I forgot to get cider vinegar.  Oh well, here goes nothing...

Makes 2.5 340g jars

2 large green mangoes or 500g frozen
1 tsp salt
2-4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
350ml/12floz cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
400g/14 oz granulated sugar
50g golden sultanas
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Peel mangoes and dice.  Sprinkle 1tsp salt over and leave for 24 hours.   As my mangoes were very ripe I didn't do this, but I am now wondering whether sprinkling my very soft mango with salt might help keep what little crunch it had.  If you do salt the mango, drain and pat it dry after 24 hours.

Put garlic and ginger into processor with a little vinegar and blitz into a smooth paste.  Put the rest of the vinegar, sugar, sultanas, turmeric, cayenne, 1 tsp salt, and the ginger and garlic paste into a saucepan and bring to the boil.  Simmer without a lid for 15 minutes or until slightly thick.  Add the chopped mango and simmer for a further 20-30 minutes until the mango looks translucent and the chutney has thickened some more.  Check seasoning and pour into sterilised jars.

Apparently this chutney can be eaten immediately, but most 'British' chutneys say leave for 3 months before eating.  Equally the instructions are to store this chutney in the fridge even before opening, but one will join my other varieties in the garage until it's time comes.

1 comment:

  1. As I didn't have all the ingredients that other recipes required I tried this one.
    I put a few too many sultanas in plus I didn't have the golden type, so this time I will put in less. Also a little too sweet for me so again I will put less sugar. As we don't like garlic (what you like curry but not garlic? I hear you say!) because it makes us feel nauseous later, apart from the bad breath thing! I once ate a whole pot of fresh parsley, it didn't work.
    Anyway I think this recipe is very good, we liked my first attempt so would recommend it as I had everything in my store cupboard. I used cider vinegar which was ok.

    ReplyDelete