Wednesday 13 November 2013

Quick Warming Egyptian Bean Soup - Ful Medames


I based this soup on an Egyptian dish, Ful Medames, a cheap dish of boiled fava beans perked up with a bit of garlic, cumin, and lime.

I cooked double quantity of beans yesterday for a Chilli con Carne (is it just me or is there a dried bean shortage - I can't find kidney, haricot, cannellini beans...) and thought I'd turn the remaining half into a quick hearty warming soup.

125g pinto beans (or tinned beans of choice)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
Large pinch of cumin
Small clove of garlic, crushed
Few sprigs chopped broad leaf parsley
500ml recently boiled water
Chicken or vegetable stock cube

Soak the dried beans overnight, then cook according to instructions.  When tender, drain reserving the cooking liquid.

Mash as well as you can in a saucepan.  I used the flat end of my rolling pin.  Add any cooking liquor plus recently boiled water to top up to 500ml and the crumbled stock cube. Bring to a simmer.

Simmer for 5 minutes then stir in the rest of the ingredients and tuck in.

Instagram @sunhillmakesbakes

No comments:

Post a Comment