Sunday 24 March 2013

Riverford's Roasted Carrot Soup


We have been organic vegbox customers for about 10 years.  I know it is thought of a Middle Class whim, but I value the fact that first and foremost our vegetables are consistently full of flavour, value for money, relatively local, and seasonal.  The foodie fun of working out what to do with a new vegetable is a bonus.

A few weeks ago we received Riverford's leaflet for March - April with a few recipe ideas for this month's seasonal vegetables; carrots, mushrooms, purple sprouting broccoli, onions, spring greens.  As ever, when a beautifully photographed recipe book comes my way, I took a well earned break from tidying/washing/cooking/ebaying to savour the taste of the mouthwatering dishes.  But strangely enough, the recipe that caught my eye this month was a simple no-photo almost back of an envelope jotting for roasted carrot soup.

Roast 1kg peeled & chunked carrots at 200C for 30 minutes with 1tbsp olive oil.  Liquidise with 1-1.2l hot stock.  Optional flavours; coriander, rosemary, thyme, or freshly squeezed orange juice.

I added 1 tsp of cumin seeds to my roasting carrots and the smell was heavenly when I took them out of the oven.  I also added half a tub of organic cream cheese when liquidising, but probably would have added cream if I had had any in.  Other additions that come to mind are honey, wholegrain mustard...

It is hard to describe the finished soup.  Deeply carroty and satisfying.  A starring role for such a workhorse of a vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment