Wednesday 22 June 2011

Baked Jacket Potatoes

I probably hadn't had proper oven baked jacket potatoes for over 15 years, but made a return to them about a month ago.

Personally I blame the microwave. My parents bought me one when I moved into my own place, aged 24, worried that I was going to starve. But another relatively recent development has brought me full circle - the timer on my Bosch oven which turns it on and off whilst I am out. Today I set the timer to come off whilst I was out with Big Boy at a playgroup, and timed it to end just as I expected us to walk back in the door. Giving me time to make a cheese & onion filling.

In the hope that I can tempt you to try this nutty, warming delicacy, I repeat the instructions for Jacket Potatoes from my trusty Basic Cookery from Good Housekeeping, again given to me by my mum fearing I would starve in my first year in student digs.

Preheat oven to 200C. Wash and dry as many medium sized potatoes as required. Prick all over with a fork and place on shelf in the middle of the oven. Cook for 1-1.25 hours. If using the oven timer, don't worry about not preheating the oven. Just set the the oven to be on for 1.25 hours if you expect to be back close to the end of the cooking time. If you might not be back on time, set the timer for an hour, and the hot oven should continue to cook the potatoes and keep them warm until you get home.

The list of possible toppings is endless. My favourites are; cheese & onion, tuna mayo, bean & sweetcorn in vinaigrette...

No comments:

Post a Comment